Regular tortillas are turned into sweet crunchy chips.
After making a batch of my homemade whole wheat tortillas, we had some left over. Since the tortillas are made fresh and without any preservatives, they will harden. Now…this is not a bad thing. Trust me! You can make a batch of whole wheat cinnamon sugar tortilla chips! We couldn’t stop eating these delicious, baked tortilla chips. Very similar to a mexican treat, known as bunelos or cinnamon-sugar crisps. Which are fried, thin sheets of dough and covered in cinnamon/sugar.
These little guys are not fried and have lots of flavor. You get a nice crunchy, cinnamon and sugar taste with whole wheat goodness! These would make a great snack for dipping in a yogurt fruit dip.
A little tutorial on making these cinnamon sugar tortilla chips.
Let’s start by cutting the tortilla in half.
Now, cut the halves in half. You’ll have four triangles from one tortilla. ( I still need to cut the second half, in the picture below.)
Spray the cut tortilla triangles with cooking spray. Flip them over and make sure to coat the backs.
Sprinkle on the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Flip and be sure to sprinkle on the other side.
Place tortilla chips on top of wired racks that are sitting on baking sheets. I baked them on wired cooling racks, to make sure the heat can circulate under the chips. Bake in a preheated oven 350 F degrees for 10 minutes.
Look at all that… I just want to grab one and munch on it.
Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
- homemade whole wheat tortillas (any tortilla should work)
- cooking spray
- cinnamon and sugar mixture
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place a wired, cookie cooling rack on top of the foil lined baking sheet. Set aside. Cut a tortilla in half. Cut the tortilla halves in half to make 4 triangles total. Continue to cut any remaing tortillas into triangles. Place in a large mixing bowl. Spray the fronts and backs of the tortilla triangles with cooking spray. Make sure to fully coat them. Generously, sprinkle the tortilla triangles with a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Be sure to sprinkle both sides of the tortilla triangles. Place on lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to fully cool. They should have a nice crunch once cooled.
NOTE: If the cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are still soft after they’ve cooled – place back in the oven and cook 5 -10 minutes longer. Every oven is different. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
Cinnamon and Sugar Mixture – 1/2 cup sugar to 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon. Mix together in a bowl.
Get in the kitchen and bake up some memories!
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016