This easy caramel drizzle cake was so delicious! It smelled good, looked good and tasted good! I jazzed up a boxed white cake mix, with homemade caramel frosting and homemade caramel sauce. I’m wishing I could have another piece of this cake!
I made the cake, caramel sauce and frosting the night before and assembled it, the next morning. First bake your cake. While the cake is baking, let’s make the caramel sauce. This caramel sauce needs 4 simple ingredients! Brown sugar, butter, milk and baking soda. Put the ingredients into medium saucepan and cook on med-low, until it thickens. Very simple and so tasty! I was taste testing several spoonfuls.
The caramel sauce will look like this. It will be a dark color because of using all brown sugar. You just want to dip your finger in there and have a taste!
How about a drizzle in your tea? Why, yes of course and thank you!
Now that the caramel sauce is done, it’s time to make the easy caramel buttercream frosting. I actually was surprised at how fast this came together. This frosting has a hint of caramel flavor and was really nice to work with. You’ll need salted butter, powdered sugar, corn syrup and homemade caramel sauce.
I did this by hand with a whisk. Cream butter and corn syrup. Add sifted powdered sugar, whisk again until creamy. Whisk in the homemade caramel sauce. There all done! You can use immediately or store in fridge. If stored in fridge and ready to use, heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Check the frosting to see if it’s spreadable consistency. That’s it. Ready to frost your cake.
Now it’s time to assemble the cake. Grab a cake round and place in middle of cake stand and frost.
At this point you want to make a circular well in the middle of the cake. This is to spoon some of the caramel sauce in the middle. Spread the caramel sauce in the well. It will add some extra caramel flavor in every slice you serve!
Now, carefully add the second layer of cake. You really want to get it just right because the cake can crumble if you mess with it too much.
Ok, slightly adjust the cake and finish frosting with remaining caramel frosting.
You can keep cake on counter or store in fridge. Remember this frosting is made with butter and butter melts. So try not to keep cake in direct sunlight or in very hot kitchen. I stored the cake in fridge for 30 minutes and took it to our destination. It was inside a fairly cool kitchen and brought outside in garage. It held up fine.
I did drizzle the caramel sauce right after I frosted the cake. I would recommend waiting to drizzle the caramel sauce. You can drizzle the cake right before serving or drizzle on individual slices.
Here’s a picture of the inside of the cake. It really didn’t last long, so make sure you get a piece!
- 1 box white cake mix (butter or vanilla cake mix would work too)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salted butter (4 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup salted butter (room temp- very soft)
- 1 Tablespoon corn syrup
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup homemade caramel sauce
- **Makes enough to frost 2 - 8 inch round cakes**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans, set aside.
- Mix all the cake ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 -32 minutes, or when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow to completely cool on wired racks.
- Put all caramel sauce ingredients into medium saucepan. Cook on med-low heat and stir occasionally until thickened. A good way to test thickness is to make sure the sauce thickly coats the back of a spoon. You don't want it to just run off of spoon. Once thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool. Can store in fridge when not in use.
- Whisk the room temp butter until nice and creamy. Add the corn syrup and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in sifted powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Continue until powdered sugar is gone.
- Add the homemade caramel sauce. Whisk all together and done.
- You can use caramel buttercream frosting immediately or store in fridge (store in air tight container).
- Follow the ingredients and directions to get the results that I did.
- If storing the frosting in fridge it will harden (butter hardens in fridge). When your ready to use the frosting, just place in microwave for 20 seconds and check if spreadable. If not spreadable, cook for another 10 seconds. Always check if spreadable by stirring . Once your able to spread the frosting it's ready to go.
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016