This is an extremely easy salsa. Only five main ingredients to make this!
I have to give credit to my uncle Rodney, for this easy salsa recipe.
We went to visit my aunt, uncle and family in Illinois last August (2013). My aunt made everyone breakfast and brought out a jar of this salsa. We spooned some salsa on our breakfast tacos and were immediately hooked! It’s really good!
When we came back home from our visit, we couldn’t stop thinking about that salsa! My husband, Josh, asked me to text my aunt for the recipe.
It doesn’t take much to make this easy salsa. You put all the ingredients in blender or food processor and make the salsa into the consistency you like. We like our salsa smooth with no chunks.
You can adapt this salsa to your own taste. If you want it super hot, just use more jalapenos. I don’t like really hot or extremely spicy things. If it sets my mouth on fire, I won’t enjoy it with my food. I’m shocked at how some people are able to bite into hot peppers and like it! Too crazy for me! I could never be that brave. So, if you’re one of those people, more power to you!
This easy salsa is really good to dip with tortilla chips. I recommend using the tortilla chips with lime. Those lime tortilla chips and this salsa make an awesome pair! We love it!
My husband, Josh, made a request for this salsa last week. His work was having a summer cookout. It was a huge hit! He sent me a text that afternoon and said everyone loved it! They had fajitas at the cookout and kept commenting on how good the salsa was! People were trying to take some home with them! They wanted more salsa!
I made a double batch and should have quadrupled this recipe. The cookout was for 100+ people. That’s the great thing about this recipe, you can easily make a large amount of salsa. One batch is a good amount for two families to share, depending on size of family. Double the recipe for a larger crowd. Triple or quadruple for way more people. You get the idea.
Note: The heat of the salsa depends on the jalapenos. Sometimes, you’ll get a batch of hot jalapenos and sometimes a milder batch of jalapenos. Try using one or two jalapenos to start and if you want it with a little more heat, add more jalapenos. I have no control over the heat/spicy content of your jalapenos. I’ve made this salsa numerous times and each batch will vary on the heat factor.
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 oz can tomato sauce ( I use half of 8 oz can)
- 2-4 whole jalapenos
- 1/4 of a medium onion or half of a small onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- few sprigs of cilantro *optional
- Get a large bowl, or container out and ready to pour salsa in.
- Cut the stems off the jalapenos and chop into quarters. Cut onion into chunks.
- Add jalapenos, onion, salt and cilantro (if using) and half a can of the whole tomatoes with juice into blender or food processor.
- Blend until desired consistency. Pour the blended salsa into bowl. Finish blending the remaining tomatoes with juice and tomato sauce. Mix all the blended salsa in bowl to fully incorporate.
- Eat immediately or store in refrigerator. Could also be stored in freezer.
- Please note: The heat of the salsa will depend on the batch of jalapenos you pick. Sometimes, you'll have a very hot/spicy batch of jalapenos. Other times you may have a milder batch of jalapenos. I have no control over the heat of your jalapenos. Start with one or two jalapenos, per batch of salsa and add more if needed.
- Can easily double this recipe. Just make in batches and have a large container ready to pour and mix salsa together.
- Note: Cilantro is a very strong herb. Start with a little, then add more to taste. A little goes a long way.
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016