These funfetti birthday pretzels, are delicious soft baked pretzels!
September is a busy “Birthday” month for our family. So, this is a great way to start all of our Birthday’s!
They were really, really good! Drizzled with a sweet icing. Plus, topped with more sprinkles!
Need I say more?
With the help of our son, Landon, we found tiny dinosaur sprinkles. They’re cute little guys. I was looking for regular colored “jimmy” sprinkles. All the store had, were the dino sprinkles. And a five year old chanting, “Come on mom, get these dinosaur ones. These are cool! Are they on sale?” Yes, he did ask if they were on sale. Oh well… Let’s try it. They worked out perfect!
Sprinkles are just great!
Here’s a list of what sprinkles mean:
- Sprinkles = “Happiness.” – How could you not be happy when you see sprinkles?
- Sprinkles = “Smiles.” – Try not to smile, just try.
- Sprinkles = “Funfetti.” – That’s all.
- Sprinkles = “Birthday.” – Go Birthday, go birthday, go!
- Sprinkles = “Celebration.”- Everyday is a reason to celebrate.
- Sprinkles = Food “Bling” – Sprinkles are the diamonds, in food world.
- Sprinkles = “Fun” – Oh, girls just wanna have fun! (Now, that song is in your head, too.)
- Sprinkles = “Frosting or Icing” – Usually, frosting or icing will be peeking around if sprinkles are involved.
How about a nice icing drizzle shot? Sure why not?
Looking good… looking good you sweet thing you!
I used my bread machine to make the dough for these, funfetti birthday pretzels. I just proofed my yeast for 5 minutes and dumped the rest of the ingredients into the bread machine. I used the dough setting and went about my business. That easy. I’m sure you could easily make these in your mixer with a dough hook or by hand.
After your dough has formed and rose up nicely. You punch it down and knead in the sprinkles. Form into twelve dough balls. Roll each piece of dough into a 16 inch rope. Form into pretzel shape or any shape you want. Place on non-stick baking mat and allow to rest and rise for 30 -60 minutes ( This second rise, makes sure they come out soft and fluffy).
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 Tablespoon active yeast
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter - softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour - sifted ( I used pastry flour )
- 1/2 cup sprinkles - save to knead in dough later.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking soda
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon butter extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Place warm milk ( Milk needs to be very warm, not scolding hot) and sugars into bread machine pan, mix it up. Add the yeast into warm sugar milk, and allow "to proof" for 5 minutes. This just activates the yeast before making into a dough.
- Now, add the remaining ingredients into bread machine pan, except the sprinkles. We'll add those later. Set on dough cycle and wait until the cycle is finished.
- Grab a bowl and follow step 1. for bread machine method.
- After the 5 minutes and yeast has "proofed" add the remaining ingredients into mixer (using dough hook) or large bowl, except the sprinkles. Allow the ingredients to mix and knead dough for 7-10 minutes. Once dough is smooth place in a greased/oiled bowl. Roll dough in bowl to coat in grease/oil. Cover loosely and allow to rise, until doubled in size. This will take about an hour.
- Once dough has doubled in size. Punch down and place onto a floured work surface. Knead in the sprinkles and form into 12 dough balls.
- Roll out each dough ball into a 16 inch long rope. Shape into pretzels or desired shapes. Place pretzels on non-stick baking mat on pan or spray pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes. While they are rising get your warm baking soda wash ready. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Use a pastry brush to dip in baking soda wash and brush on the pretzels before baking. Bake in preheated oven for 12 - 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the icing by mixing all ingredients together in a bowl. Drizzle on the cooled pretzels and immediately add sprinkles on top.
Go bake up some memories!
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016