This is an easy homemade chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting that you can make. This homemade cake was made along side my, Birthday Cake Chocolate Chip Cookies. You and your family will enjoy both of these recipes for any special event.
This recipe uses less oil and adds apple sauce to add moisture to the cake. Chocolate milk was used to help add some chocolate flavor. I used pastry flour for a lighter texture and crumb. This cake bakes up in a 13 x 9 inch pan. After the cake baked, I cut out mini cakes with a biscuit cutter. How cute is this mini cake?
Mini cakes would be great for your kids! They can have their own cake! A mini cake would be the perfect size for a “cake smash” session. Those “cake smash” sessions are always fun to have! They make great memories and pictures. Our son, Landon, had a “cake smash” when he was 4 years old. We have the pictures on our wall and he’ll comment about them. It was a lot of fun for him. Our friend at Katie B. Photography, was able to capture Landon’s “cake smash”.
I just had an idea! Set up a cake decorating station for the kids. If the kids are old enough, they can decorate their own cake at their next party! They would have so much fun!
This homemade chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting is perfect to celebrate your special day! I couldn’t get enough of this cake. I would love to take another bite!
If you love chocolate cake and chocolate buttercream frosting, don’t wait to make this cake. Eyes will light up and smiles will be made, get in the kitchen and make this cake.
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter - Melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups pastry flour - sifted
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks) - softened
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips - melted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, oil and apple sauce. Add the sugar, mix well. Add the eggs and chocolate milk, mix until combined.
- Now add the remaining ingredients. The salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and flour. Gently mix together until combined and no more flour remains in batter.
- Pour batter into greased/floured pan and gently tap on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted the middle comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened butter, corn syrup and melted chocolate chips. Add one cup of powdered sugar at a time, until combined and creamy. Frost the cooled cake.
- If you want the buttercream to be thinner, add a splash of milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
Go bake some cake memories!
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016