These homemade donut sticks turned out pretty good. I’m not really great at frying things. I’ve tried frying donuts at home before and they never turn out like the ones at the bakery. Anyway, these homemade donut sticks were a huge hit with our five year old son. He loved them! I was going to make a quick glaze for them, but instead I tossed them in powdered sugar and cinnamon/sugar. I think they tasted better the next day. They went well with my morning latte.
These were soft and fluffy on the inside, when fried. I liked the texture of these. You don’t want to over knead the dough. I used my bread machine to mix up the ingredients. Once everything was mixed up and formed a dough, I stopped the machine. I allowed the dough to rest and rise for 30 minutes.
After the first rise, pull off 10 pieces and make balls.
Roll each ball into a 5 inch rope.
Press out into a large oval shape.
Let them rise again for 30 minutes. Fry in oil and drain. Toss in powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar, while still warm.
Homemade Donut Sticks – Makes 10
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active yeast ( 1 package)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter – softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- oil for frying – ( I used canola oil)
- powdered sugar ( to coat donut sticks)
- cinnamon and sugar ( to coat donut sticks)
STEP ONE: Place warm milk and sugars in the bottom of bread machine pan, mix to dissolve sugars. Add the yeast and allow to activate for 5 minutes.
STEP TWO: Add the softened butter, egg, both flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt,and vanilla to the bread machine pan. Turn the machine on to the dough cycle. (NOTE: You will not let the entire dough cycle complete.) Once a dough has formed, turn the machine off and grease a large bowl and place dough inside the bowl. Place in a warm area and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
STEP THREE: Punch down the dough and remove 10 equal pieces of dough. Roll into balls and then into 5 inch ropes. Shape the ropes and form into oval/donut stick shapes. Cover with a kitchen towel, allow to rest and rise in a warm area for another 30 minutes. Preapare a cookie sheet, by lining with brown paper bags or paper towels, set aside. Have a bowl of powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar mixture ready to coat fried donuts.
STEP FOUR: Heat up a few inches of oil in a large saucepan. The oil should be on a medium temperature, 365F ( I didn’t use a thermometer ). Once the oil is hot enough, gently place a donut stick in pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until nice and golden. Flip once and use a slotted spoon to remove from oil. Place on lined cookie sheet and allow to drain excess oil. While still warm, toss in powdered sugar or cinnamon/sugar mixture. Continue fry process until all donut sticks are finished.
Get in the kitchen and bake up…fry up some donut memories!
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016