Kid friendly crock-pot chili is what’s for dinner tonight.
Here in our home, we’re fans of chili. Especially, in the cold months coming up. My husband doesn’t like celery, onions or chunky stuff in his chili. Which is fine, less prep for me to make chili. Chili is normally an easy dish to prepare. There are tons of chili recipes and I’m sure you have a favorite one. This is a really easy recipe and kid approved!
Sometimes, kids take one look at a dish and decide they won’t try it. This crock-pot chili is kid friendly. If they like hamburgers and beans, they should like this chili.
Our son, Landon, is really good about taking one bite of food and trying it. Landon is also a pretty good eater and likes vegetables too! We always encourage him to try new things, because he might like it!
Landon asked me what I was making for dinner and I said, “Chili”.
He replied, “But I don’t like chili”.
I said, “Well, that’s what we’re having for dinner.”, he just walked away.
When it was time for dinner, I scooped some chili in his bowl and he just looked at it. He asked what was in it. I told him hamburger meat and beans, that’s all. He took a bite and really liked it! He told me it was good! Whew!
He gladly ate some left-overs a few days later for dinner again. Sprinkle cheese on top and done.
Let’s talk chili. I normally don’t measure when I make chili. It’s basically, whatever we have around the house. Like pencil shavings, pieces of mail or sticks from outside… Just kidding!! Making sure you were paying attention. Back on topic.
If I have an opened container of spaghetti sauce in the fridge, I use that for the tomato flavor. Sometimes, I use black beans, pinto beans or just a mixture. You really can’t mess this up. The main thing is to have your family enjoy it. I just dump, pour and taste, to make sure it’s fine. Then turn the crock-pot on low, dinner is good to go!
I love my crock-pot! This one here was my very first one, from my mom. Over 12 years ago, my husband and I, were newly living together. I had no clue about cooking dinner. My mom, gave my this crock-pot and told me about all the things I could cook in it. I was intrigued about it cooking all day and coming home to a cooked and ready meal!
I’m still not a great cook. Baking is my specialty. I most likely won’t have dinner ready, but the cookies are done!
I love corn bread! We just moved into a town, which is known as the home of “Jiffy” cornbread! That’s my favorite brand. I could eat the whole pan of cornbread as a meal. The cornbread pairs up nicely with this crock-pot chili.
- 2 cups cooked ground beef
- 2 (15 oz) cans of kidney beans ( you can use black beans, pinto beans or a mix of any)
- 1/2 cup ketchup ( spaghetti sauce works too)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- sprinkle fresh black pepper - to taste
- Add all the ingredients into crock-pot and set on low for 8 -10 hours. Or on high 4 -6 hours.
- Easily double the recipe for a larger family.
- Top with desired toppings.
- Remember to add a little bit of spices to taste. You can always season with more but you can't take it out.
- For a thicker chili - remove 1/2 cup of liquid from the chili, 30 minutes before it's finished cooking. Allow the liquid to cool and add 2 Tablespoons of flour. Mix well and stir back into the crock-pot. Cook on high for the remaining 30 minutes.
Good meals and full bellies!
Kid friendly crock-pot chili = empty bowls.
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016