Your dog will love these oatmeal flaxseed dog treats! Oatmeal and flaxseed are very healthy for us and our furry friends.
These dog treats have some nutritious ingredients for your special doggie. The oats are full of protein, fiber, iron and more. Oats are also known to help calm digestive issues and calm nerves in our pets.
The ground flaxseeds are great for your pets coat, skin and immune system. Many dog foods are starting to incorporate flaxseed because of its benefits.
The dough for these treats will be a little on the tough side, but still workable. Once you form into a dough you get to decide on what shapes you want to make. I used the rim of a plastic shot glass, to get these circle shapes. This size treat is great for all breeds. You could use any type of cookie cutter or glass shape you want.
You want to bake these until nice and crunchy. You may want to let them cool down in the oven after you turned it off. These oatmeal flaxseed dog treats baked at 350 degrees for 40 minutes in my oven.
The dogs couldn’t wait to try them! As you can see, they’re waiting to get some treats.
This would be a great activity to have the kids help out with! They can mix, prick dough with fork and roll out their own piece of dough. Landon has fun pricking the dough with a fork. They would also have fun cutting out the shapes to bake these!
Our son, Landon, is the designated treat giver. If I don’t watch him, he’ll end up giving the dogs all the treats!
A batch of these filled the dog treat jar and had some left over. The ones that were left over, went inside some kongs (dog toy you can stuff treats inside) to keep them busy for while. Your dog will love these treats! You can feel good about giving these to your dog. No artificial ingredients or preservatives!
- 1/4 cup bacon grease (room temp)
- 1/3 cup beef or chicken drippings/juices
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oats (old-fashioned or quick)
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Get out a large non-stick cookie sheet.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, warm up the bacon grease and drippings for 30 seconds. Whisk well.
- Add the egg and whisk again. Add oats, flaxseeds and flour and combine together until a dough is formed. Use your hands to really work the dough together.
- Flour your work surface and dough. Roll out the dough to 1/4 in - 1/2 in thickness. Dough will be thick and a little tough, just keep rolling it out. Prick dough with a fork.
- Cut out shapes. I used the rim of plastic shot glass to make the small circles.
- Place dough shapes onto baking sheet (you can place them pretty close together, they won't spread). Bake in oven for 40 - 45 minutes, until nice and crunchy when cooled.
Your dog will also enjoy these homemade bacon dog treats!
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016