It’s a SKINNY hot chocolate in muffin form! Not only are these muffins guilt-free, they’re moist, full of chocolate flavor, and have marshmallow bits. Loaded with healthy bananas, freshly grated zucchini, and white whole wheat flour.
Figure friendly, kid friendly, and family friendly.
Skinny Hot Chocolate Banana Zucchini Muffins
These turned out delicious! We heated ours up in the microwave, for 20 seconds, before eating. Our 6 year old son, wanted his muffins with a cup of hot chocolate. I had mine with a cup of hot tea. Such a fun, tasty, and healthy muffin. No mixer needed, I just whisk everything together.
Our garden produced a ton of zucchini. I kept thinking of different ways to bake with it. The grated zucchini does magical things when used for baked goods. You honestly, can’t tell it’s in the muffins, it provides moist texture.
Here’s what I did:
I mashed up the bananas. I peeled and grated the zucchini, until I had two cups. I did not squeeze the liquid out, this time. I whisked together the mashed bananas, an egg, vanilla, milk, and brown sugar. I added in the peeled and grated zucchini, and mixed well. I sifted in the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and white whole wheat flour. Stirring to combine with the banana and zucchini mixture. Don’t over mix. I added in some chocolate chips, and mallow bits. I sprayed a regular muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop out the mixture into muffins tins. I was able to get 16 muffins. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips, and mallow bits on top, before baking. I baked them in a 400 F degree oven for 10 minutes. Then turned the heat down to 350 F degrees, and baked for 15 minutes. Or, until the centers are set.
Skinny Hot Chocolate Banana Zucchini Muffins – Makes 14 – 16 muffins
- 3 ripe bananas – mashed
- 2 cups peeled and grated zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour – sifted
- 1/2 (heaping) cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cups mallow bits + 1/3 cup for topping
Step One: Preheat the oven to 400 F degrees. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, egg, vanilla, milk, and brown sugar. Add in the peeled and grated zucchini, whisk well. Sift in the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and white whole wheat flour. Whisk to combine with banana mixture. Don’t over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips, and 1/4 cup mallow bits.
Step Two: Evenly, scoop the mixture into 14 or 16 muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin, with remaining 1/3 cup of mallow bits, and a few more chocolate chips. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to 350 F degrees, and bake for 15 minutes, or until centers are set. Allow the muffins to slightly cool, and carefully remove them out of the pan. Place them on a wired rack, to finish cooling. Store muffins on counter for a maximum of 2 days (can cover with plastic wrap, or foil). For longer storage, place in an air-tight container, and keep in the fridge.
*Note: To reheat muffins – Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Get in the kitchen, and bake up some memories!
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016