FRESHLY chopped sweet basil leaves are made into a crunchy baked snack! Sprinkled with course sea salt. A great way to use up those garden herbs.
Snip off some sweet basil leaves, and let’s make crackers!
Sweet Basil Crackers
This year, has been my first productive garden. I did attempt to grow a garden in Texas. I was able to grow one melon sized pumpkin. I was very excited about my little pumpkin! Other than that, I couldn’t grow anything, due to the heat. This year my garden has really taken off! I love being out there and harvesting all the fruits and vegetables that have grown.
I decided to make crackers, from my planter full of beautiful, aromatic, sweet basil leaves. You get to see flecks of green in each cracker. This is a fun and crunchy way to use your herbs.
Grab a handful, while watching your favorite show. Our son, Landon, and I, can’t stop snacking on them.
Sweet Basil Crackers
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I used fine sea salt)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped sweet basil leaves (fresh)
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- Course sea salt (to sprinkle on top)
Step One: Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the water and egg together. Whisk until nice and frothy, about 3 minutes. Add in the sugar, baking soda, canola oil, sea salt, and finely chopped sweet basil. Use the whisk to combine well. Stir in the flour, and mix until a dough forms. Use your hands to from into a dough.
Step Two: Flour a sheet of parchment paper, or a non-stick baking mat (this will make it easier to transfer the crackers onto a baking sheet). You can also, flour the counter and roll out the dough. Roll the dough to an 1/8 inch thickness. Prick the dough with a fork, to prevent them from forming large bubbles. Use a pizza cutter and slice into small bite size squares (I didn’t measure the squares. Mine were all different sizes).
Step Three: Slide the parchment paper, or non-stick baking mat, onto a large enough baking sheet. Brush each cracker with water, and sprinkle the coarse sea salt on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until nice and golden. Allow to fully cool. Enjoy!
Get in the kitchen, and bake up some memories!
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016