Here’s a fun way to use your sweet potatoes. Turn them into sweet potato donut muffin tops! Made with a fresh sweet potato, dipped in melted butter and topped with a cinnamon/sugar mixture. They have a beautiful orange color to them and taste great.
Our five year old son, Landon, ate two of these! When he came home from school, he wanted a snack and saw these sweet potato donut muffin tops on the stove. He took one bite and said they were delicious! He wanted to take one to school, for snack time too.
Sweet potatoes are pretty tasty all by themselves. There’s a famous restaurant, that has loaded sweet potatoes on the menu. Which are one of my favorite sides to have. One of my favorite holiday dishes, is a sweet potato casserole. It’s sweetened mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. Oh man! I love that casserole!
These sweet potato donut muffin tops are a fun way to eat your sweet potatoes. They’re soft, fluffy and delicious. Great with a morning cup of coffee or tea. Even a nice cold glass of milk, for the kids!
Sweet Potato Donut Muffin Tops – Makes 9
- 1 large sweet potato – cooked and peeled (cooled)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
CINNAMON AND SUGAR TOPPING
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Set aside a large baking sheet, lined non-stick cooking mat.
STEP TWO: In a food processor, puree the cooked and peeled sweet potato. Add all the remaining ingredients and pulse into a soft dough. The dough will be very soft and delicate. Generously flour work surface, to prevent sticking. If the dough is quite sticky, add a handful of flour and knead. The dough should be very loose and soft.
STEP THREE: Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out circles with biscuit cutter or floured rim of a glass. Re-roll any pieces of dough and cut out and place on cookie sheet. I was able to get 9 donut muffin tops. It will depend on the size of your cutter. Bake in Preheated oven for 25 minutes. Allow to fully cool.
STEP FOUR: While they are cooling, prepare the cinnamon/sugar topping. Melt butter in shallow bowl. Mix the sugars and cinnamon in another shallow bowl. Gently dip the tops into melted butter and then cinnamon/sugar mixture.
NOTES: The dough will be delicate and light. Really flour your rolling area, and be gentle with them.
When getting ready to dip them, be very careful not to destroy them. They are very soft and fluffy when baked. You could use a pastry brush and spread the butter on top and sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Get in the kitchen and bake some memories!
You might also like:
- Easy Milk Bone Dog Treats – 3 ingredients (with video) - August 18, 2017
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (with video) - July 28, 2017
- Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - June 13, 2017
- Pumpkin Bone Broth Dog Treats - May 26, 2017
- Gluten Free Funfetti Banana Bread (with video) - April 18, 2017
- Bone Broth Dog Treats (with video) - March 17, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies (with video) - February 10, 2017
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies - January 20, 2017
- Easy Homemade Buttery Caramels - December 2, 2016
- Pumpkin Pie - November 18, 2016